Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hanging out at the bank

This sounds really lame. It may be really lame. All I know is that on Thursday I went into one of the new building my bank has built on my lunch hour. Each of the new branch locations are about three miles away from where I work. I can make either one on my way home depending on the route I want to take.

They are architectural examples of what someone can do if they have imagination and a lot of money at their disposal. I can't even describe it with all the glass and curves. It's modern, artistic but keeps grounded with large stone accents in the walls and floors to make you feel like it's been built by very common folk in the middle ages.

The important things to note about my Credit Union (I was wrong to call it bank before) are that besides the three 42" flat wide screens that hang above the tellers while you wait, right inside the door there is an even larger one in front of a sea of cafe tables. On either side of this television is a computer terminal where you can access the Internet for free. Under the television are two pump coffee thermoses. One is decaf and the other is normal. For a cafe it doesn't compete with 7-11 and their high stakes version of coffee choice overload. It does beat all with the Internet. I never see anyone go over and use any of that stuff.

This past Thursday on the lunch break I normally don't take I got a cup of coffee after I did my banking. Then I sat down at the "no-restrictions" Internet access point. I logged on to themaxx. I turned on the NSFW filter out of courtesy to the other bankers. The screen and your back when you sit down, both face the door. Nude pictures of women/animals and various other possible oddities from a site subtitles "this might be offensive" were not something I wanted to share nor subject any else to*.

It was nice. I spent twenty minutes there, relaxing away from the questions and problems of work. I think I've done something wrong because in stead of feeling like 15 people answer to me, I often feel like I answer to them.


*The truth is for an elitist site like it is, of people sharing photographs and individuals concepts of how much they hate everyone, I have the ability to invite new users. If I did know anyone who was interested I could just submit their name with the click of a button and let them in. No one has ever taken me up on this offer. Please let me know if you'd like to become an 1337, request that I invite you in a coment.

No comments: