Monday, June 23, 2008

Getting my world in shape

I use twitter.com to micro-blog.  Several times a day I will use 140 characters or less to explain what is going on in my life.  It’s a good place to vent, briefly.  I’m able to twitter anywhere because it accepts text messages when you are unable to log online and use the web page itself.  It keeps track of all my posts and posts them publicly the moment it receives them.  Of course it’s also doing the same for everyone else who uses twitter, so seeing my own tweet (which what we hiply refer to our posts as) on the public feed is not a likely thing to occur.  The public feed doesn’t show that many at once and as it receives new it bumps off the old.  On my personal page it saves all of them and on separate page it also shows tweets from the people I follow.

 

Following is like having friends on a social network site, except anyone can follow you without your permission.  That really shouldn’t matter because by using this site you agree to publicly post this information.  It really doesn’t affect you, unless you begin to follow them.  At that point you will see their tweets on your person page.  If you enable sms notices you will also receive them on your texting device.  I enjoy reading the things that most of the people I follow say, but I had to make a few decisions on which ones I wanted to come to my phone.  The more people I followed the tweets I would get and my phone would always be playing catch up because it only holds fifty messages at one time.  Now I get tweets I deem more important than the rest, directly to my phone and the rest I catch up online when I have some free time.

 

When I’m away from my computer and I’m in a position where I am unable to text message to twitter I use Jott.com to translate my voice message into text and then send it to twitter.  Jott can send messages to any one who can receive text messages but you have set up an address book online.  You dial a 1-800, tell it who to send the message to and then what the message is.  Jott also allows you to set up groups so you can broadcast a message to several people instead of resending it to each one.  Like I’m sure is the hindrance of all voice recognition software back ground noise, accents and the pronunciation and emphasis we put on words all confuse the crap out of it.  The best results I got out of it were all while I was talking like a robot.  It also helps if you spell some words instead of writing them out.  It normally gets that a little better. 

 

Jott partners with other web2.0 stuff like twitter and iwantsandy.com which is a personal assistant I am trying to work with to get my life under control.  She can take a message from Jott or any email containing the correct phrase of “Remind” followed by what and when to send you a text message or an email reminding you of things you need to do in the future, closer to when that event is actually due.  So far this is just for me to pretend.  I can call Jott ask for Sandy and say “remind me that I need to take Keely out to dinner on 06/23/08 it’s our anniversary.” (I changed the date so I could get a response today that is not our anniversary) Sandy will then send me an email…

 

Sandy also provided me with a link to enter into my Google Calendar so that everything I tell her to remind me of also shows up there visually so if I happen to look ahead in my calendar I’d see it, even if I didn’t have time to put it in myself.

 

If you want to record your voice because of the funny or musical way you want to say something and have it saved to the internet use utterz.com.  It’s like a twitter and a pod cast all in one.  It stores your posts on a personal page and people can listen to the things that you have said.  You can add pictures and tags to your utterz (which are what they call your posts) so they can be better searched.  Its usefulness is a little questionable for me at the moment.

 

 

No comments: