Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Failings of Society

It happened. They told me it would. I didn't believe them. My parents said, if you're not careful credit cards will ruin your life. I had all the information I could possibly need. I had never had any kind of credit before. I moved out of my parents house and into an apartment in Muncie Indiana almost nine years ago. Then I proceeded to apply for every form of credit I could.

What happened on most occasions was that I got denied. Having no credit history is kind of frowned upon. What ever credit I did have all went bad. I never earned a degree or landed a good paying job, right after high school. I wasn't able to pay rent let alone credit card bills that piled up with nothing to show for it but empty pizza boxes and gas tanks. Later I was told that was a bad move to buy such exhaustible services on credit.

I feel off the credit world. I wasn't trusted for anything. Mail swamped my inbox for years with threats. The companies I owed sold their losses to other companies for half what I owed. Those companies sold them off to others as I sat and waited for Armageddon. The phone rang incessantly for years. Caller id is one of the best inventions ever. It was hard to explain at first why it rang and we didn't pick up while entertaining. We said it was telemarketers. Soon people didn't seem to care. I'd been visiting with other people and their phone was doing the same thing. Hiding from collectors was more secretly common than I had suspected.

What happened over those nine years I'm not incredibly proud of. Sure at the moment I'm kind of happy, but I'll get to that in a moment. I tried to apply for a Bankruptcy about four years into it. It turned out that while I couldn't pay my bills, while I had been throwing away statements and letters; I was unable to pay for legal assistance and I had no evidence of what I owed.

They say that chapter 11 (or is it 7) is no longer available in a form where you are no longer responsible to repay your debt. They also say that it takes 7 years to come off of your credit report. I heard from somewhere that all bad credit takes 7 years to fall off.

I haven't seen my credit report in several years. I'd been getting junk mail for at least two years where I'd been pre-aproved for this or that. Out of pure fantasy I'd fill them out and mail them in. Everyone was denied for this or that reason.

However in this year of 2007, someone made a mistake. They sent me back not a letter of failure but a platinum card. I'd never gotten above silver before. In fact I think I was at some new form of low level pewter.

I am taking it as some sort of honor. It's gonna be different this time around. I'm going to use my credit to reach higher levels of good credit. I'm am going to pursue heightened plateaus of available credit. Holding them as precious gems until I am near death.

At that point, if I do not have children or beloved relatives that will inherit my debt, I will blow it all. If I'm in any kind of right mind at that point, I'm gonna buy things I can leave in my will to friends. Chances are however as I am near the end of my right mind most of the time, it will be frivolous spending resulting in momentary capsules of entertainment.

No comments: