Wednesday, March 19, 2008

They keep pulling me back in

When I was 16, I learned the love of coffee. It was part of my "now we're going to get our acquired tastes acquired" phase. I was already over six feet tall and wasn't really worried about it stunting my growth. Now however I wonder if it didn't somehow effect my brain. After high school the coffee drinking slowed way down. Alcohol took it's place on the weekend. Seems I am always in the abuse of some substance (always legal*)

So in high school they hooked me. Coffee delivered right to my house and complete with it's own maker?!?!? Gevalia you were for a while the only reason I had a job. My room was more like an apartment with a partial kitchen. I kept the maker in my room and made a thermos everyday. I'd take it to school and share it with Tony. Life was good.

I quit the club when my freezer was full of coffee beans and I was tired of all the clean up. There really shouldn't have been too much clean up in the art of coffee making, but I was entering my "Hey I know let's give up and quit" phase. I've been through a lot of phases...

So now with the overbearing stress of a job I no longer really want to perform anymore on a schedule that has basically ruined me as a person. I don't know about the normalcy of time frames regarding work. I know my place of business opens at 3am. Shifts start as late as 8am. When I started I was on the 6am shift and if I needed to get something extra done I would come in as early as 3am. Now I'm on 8am shift, I've been there for almost 2 years. I can no longer come in early to accomplish anything. It's horrible even the thought of getting there at 6am disgusts me. And so the coffee drinking began. It is the comforting warm sensation in my throat and stomach, the lingering flavor in my mouth and the racing dizzy feeling when I am near that OD point when I'm pretty sure coffee should be illegal. Getting to that level has varied over the years. Sometimes it come quick and sometimes it doesn't. It's kind of worrying me because as of late it doesn't more than 24-48 ounces of coffee to make feel kind of woozy. I would have thought like alcohol and illegal drugs the body would build up an immunity. It's not like I want an immunity, it was just something I thought about.

Now I am in limbo. I've placed my order. The offer came via email. They'd been baiting me with a free travel mug or a coffee pot but then one day they said "Have a free Coffee pot, Travel mug and insulated pitcher." This was an offer I could not refuse. I backed down off the hard core track and chose "ground" instead of "bean. I don't have a grinder anymore. I'm not to the point that I need to make coffee making as difficult as possible to enjoy it's supreme divine-ness . One day I may crush my beans with a muddler and use a coffee press over a stove burner but right now the simplicity of pods in my Panasonic Senseo have been very good to me. I just seem to run out too quickly and not have the freedom to drink as much as I would like in the morning and have enough for the commute. I have to ration it out. It may be the same way with the Gevalia, I just remember it being bountiful. Like an ever flowing wave of coffee into my home.

So in finding a link for Senseo I think I just stumbled upon (I keep using that phrase without using the service) a similar club, nope I need to learn more about reading instead of skimming.

*Apart from the underage drinking 10 years ago.

No comments: